Handouts and Slides from our National Conference
Here are the handouts and slides that were provided to us by speakers at the 2016 National Conference for America’s Children. If you are a speaker and would like your materials to be included on this page, please contact Zach Hiner for assistance.
The Brain Explains: Why We Know More Than Ever Before About Childhood Exposure to Domestic Violence – Dr. Linda Chamberlain, Ph.D.
- The Brain Explains: Trauma and the Potential for Healing
- The Amazing Brain: What Every Caregiver Needs to Know
Best Practices for Children Exposed to Domestic Violence – Dr. Linda Chamberlain, Ph.D.
- Fingerhold Practice for Managing Emotions & Stress
- Comprehensive Review of Interventions for Children Exposed to Domestic Violence
Bringing Mindfulness to our Work with Families Experiencing Trauma, Loss, and Grief – Jill Hennes, LICSW
Building a Community of Practice – DawnDee Walraven, Beth Dasher
CHEEERS: A Deeper Dive – Kate Whitaker, Tracie Lansing
Child Abuse Prevention Innovations Panel – Malcolm Gaines, Psy.D., Darshana Spach, M.Ed., Sarah Welch, MFA
Choose Your Partner and Caregiver Carefully – Amanda Haboush Deloye, M.A., Ph.D., Patricia Haddad
Connections Matter: Moving Communities to Action – Sarah Welch, M.F.A.
Continuous Quality Improvement: Managing a Healthy Families Site with an Eye on Quality – Jennifer Baxter, Nancy Gwin, Wendy Hensley, M.P.A.
Creating a Culture of Communication and Messaging for MIECHV Home Visiting – Kathy Pillow-Price
Creating a Generative Home Visiting Program through Collaborations and a Robust Infrastructure – Robert Ammerman, Ph.D., Judith VanGinkel, Ph.D. Margaret Clark, MPA
Developing Parent Leaders – Strengthening Families, Programs and Communities – Anita Odom, Carla Snodgrass, Brianna Stormer
The Duet Project: Early Engagement, Future Success – Samia Bristow, Kathrin Brellochs, Marjie Mogul
Evidence Based Home Visitation Models (HIPPY, Child First, Safe Care) – Donna Kirkwood, Ph.D., Darcy Lowell, M.D., Cydney Wessel, M.S.W., M.B.A, Daniel Whitaker, Ph.D.
- The HIPPY Model – Donna Kirkwood
Getting to Outcomes: Early Results from a RCT of the Healthy Families Oregon Program – Beth L. Green, Ph.D., Jerod Tate, M.A., Craig LeCroy, Ph.D.
Healthy Families America: From Promoting Attachment to Preventing Bullying – Kate Whitaker, Leslie Mitchel-Bond
Healthy Families Georgia Quality in Action Network: Harnessing Data to Improve Practice – Rachel Glisson, Jennifer Hayes
The heART of Reflective Supervision – Deb Weatherston, Ph.D.
Home Visiting with Language Interpreters – Kaying Vang-Lor, Marsha Milgrom, MPA
How Home Visitors Can Promote Sexual Health and Safety and Help Prevent Child Sexual Abuse – Michelle Marty, M.S.
How to Integrate Risks, Protective, and Promotive Factors into Service Delivery – Tracy Small and Christa Austin
- How to Integrate Risks: Slides
- How HFA Supports Protective Factors
- Identifying Protective Factors Scenarios
- Philosophical Framework for Supervision
Human Trafficking Needs Assessment: Estimating Prevalence and Coordinating Community Collaboration – Jennifer Battis, MRes
Innovations in Prevention: Child Sexual Abuse Community Strategies Panel – Meg O’Rourke, L.C.S.W., Angelo Giardino, M.D., Ph.D.
- Innovations in Prevention: Slides – Giardino
- Keep Children Safe: The Spotlight Handout
- Community Partnerships for Sexual Abuse Prevention: Chicago Park District Initiative
The Integrated Home Visitor: Strategies to Support Whole Brain Integration and Resilience – Satya Kline, M.Ed.
- The Integrated Home Visitor: Slides
- The Integrated Home Visitor: 8 Ways to Improve Self-Regulation
- The Integrated Home Visitor: Protective Factors for Home Visitors
Lessons from the Wizard of Oz: Education Decision Makers to Tell our Story – Jim McKay
More than ATP: Fresh Ways for Program Leaders to Integrate HFA’s Reflective Supervision Strategies – Kit Patterson, Dara Williamson, M.S.W.
Navigating the Challenges of Intimate Partner Violence: Assessments and Safety Planning for the Home Visitor – Phil Scribano, D.O., M.S.C.E.
Neglect: The Silent Abuser – Ryan Brown, M.D.
The Postpartum Weight Management Study – Nanci DeVose, Marjie Mogul
Poverty: Breaking the Iron Cage & Communicating Across Barriers – Donna Beegle, Ph.D.
Pre-Conference Session on Accreditation Preparation – HFA Accreditation Team
Preventing Child Neglect Is More Than a Family Matter: It Takes All of Us – Teresa Rafael, MSW and Corey Best, Ph.D.
- Preventing Child Neglect: Slides
- Parents’ Roles in Transforming Systems – Birth Parent National Network
- Building Healthy Communities and Preventing Child Neglect – A Shared Responsibility
- Building Healthy Communities and Preventing Child Neglect – Expand the Conversation
- Building Healthy Communities and Preventing Child Neglect – It’s More than a Family Matter
- Other Child Neglect Resources
Resilience Portfolios: Shifting to Strengths-Based Approaches for Families Coping with Adversity – Sherry Hamby, Ph.D.
Showcasing Strategies for Home Visit Completion – Juanita Arnold, Kathy Astin, M.S., LPC, Leah McCallister, M.S., Christi Peeples, Kathleen Strader, M.S.W.
- Showcasing Strategies: Slides
- Showcasing Strategies: Handout
- A Trauma Informed Approach to Home Visit Completion
- Barriers to Home Visit Completion
- “The Year of Home Visit Completion” videos
Social Media: Are You Doing it Right? – Sharon Hirsch, Elizabeth Gibbes
Staff Retention: Moving from Theory to Practice – Brandi Alexander, B.S.W., Patricia Drenth, M.S., B.S.N., R.N., Rita Trinklein, B.S., M.A., Cynthia Zagar, M.S.W., L.M.S.W.
Strategies for Addressing Maternal Depression in Home Visiting – Mary Mackrain, M.Ed., S. Darius Tandon, Ph.D., Robert Ammerman, Ph.D.
Tips and Tools for Engaging Fathers in Home Visits and Center-Based Programs – Melissa Steward
To Infinity and Beyond: A Journey Towards Reflection – Sarah Oo, Maria Yolanda Wigozki, Lynn Kosanovich, Kate Whitaker
Using the rocking chair project with healthy families America participants to increase attachment – Melony Williams
- The Rocking Chair Project: Slides
- A Scripted Guide to Making the Most of the Rocking Chair Project Home Visit
Utilizing Volunteers to Strengthen Advisory Groups – Kelly Hayes, Bev Long
The VIGOR: Safety Planning with Victims of IPV – Sherry Hamby, Ph.D.
What Do We Truly Mean By Father-friendly and How Do We Achieve It? – Maria Yolanda Wigozki, Sarah Oo, Leybis Pena
The Voices Behind the Data: Great Home Visiting Stories and how to Get them – Kathryn Harding, Brianna Stormer
Sign up for our newsletter
Subscribe to our bi-monthly newsletter and we’ll make sure you never miss out on any of the great things going on at Prevent Child Abuse America.